Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sweets, Kale, Kidney and Coconut Soup

Today was cold and crappy. When I came home from work I was crabby, tired and hungry. I was more tired than hungry, so the nap won on my list of priorities. When I woke up I was starving, nothing sounded good and I hadn't been to the grocery store. I gathered what veggies I could find in the fridge and cans in the cupboard and came up with this magic soup. I hope that this soup cheers you up as much as it did me!


1 onion, chopped

2-4 cloves garlic, minced

1 carrot, sliced

1-2 sweet potatoes, halved and sliced

1/2 bunch of kale, torn

1 can kidney beans

1 can coconut milk

3-4 c vegetable broth

1 t garlic-chili paste

1 T fresh ginger, grated

salt and pepper

2-3 T fresh basil, torn


  • In a large pot, saute onion and garlic until tender.
  • Add sweet potatoes and carrot. Cook for a few more minutes.
  • Add coconut milk, broth, garlic-chili paste, ginger, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes and kale are just tender.
  • Add kidney beans and simmer for a few more minutes. 
  • Remove from heat and toss in basil.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I did the same - nap, woke up hungry, nothing on the official list for dinner - so I made a chili out of pantry goods that were left over. Not too bad!

    I hope today is easier for you!

    ReplyDelete